About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Laura Hickman. Writer, sewist, baker, fairytalemaker. When I'm not writing a delicious fantasy with my husband Tracy Hickman, I'm up to my elbows creating with yarn, frosting, cloth, or paint. I love playing with my grandkids, outdoor photography & travel. Join me at http:// bakingoutsidethebox.com as I share my creations including my Baking Outside the Box mix method for all sorts of fabulous desserts. Invictus by William Ernest Henley, is my favorite poem. Especially the final stanza: It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Foolish

I don't know why I always expect it to suddenly be warm and sunny in April here in the Rockies. Perhaps it's all those years of living in the desert. St. George is amazing in April. Gorgeous. Warm and showy. South Jordan can be amazing in April, but is more subtle than the southland and has to be examined closely. Last Sunday it snowed again. It was shocking because it had been a lovely 72 degrees on Saturday. I awoke to a world that looked like January again. Sigh. By late afternoon the storm began to clear and my lens and I (eye) found some rarities to share with you. I've chosen 'Ordinary Miracles' as the music this month. I love the lyrics and I have found myself humming it all week. May the wonders that April offers, in her mercurial way, embrace you.


After a long day of snow, the clouds to the east


cleared off leaving powdered-sugar mountains


and a frost-blue sky.


The little buds on the trees still possesed a sprinkling of ice crystals.

In the west the sun hazily peaked through the retreating storm.

A dance of fire and ice.

The sun grows more billiant as it burns the clouds away.

And the golden orb lazily clears the sky as she bends toward her nightly sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish it would stop. They're showing rivers in flood on the news tonight. But i don't need to watch it. I can see it out my back windows. You, up on the mountain - you're above it, unless you slide down in the mud. I'm worried. Tired of the cold. The mud down here. Small miracles and beauties, I'm sure, abound for those with eyes to see. But I'm too busy worrying about packing up everything on the ground floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing things through your "lens"
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete