About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Laura Hickman. Writer, sewist, baker, fairytalemaker. When I'm not writing a delicious fantasy with my husband Tracy Hickman, I'm up to my elbows creating with yarn, frosting, cloth, or paint. I love playing with my grandkids, outdoor photography & travel. Join me at http:// bakingoutsidethebox.com as I share my creations including my Baking Outside the Box mix method for all sorts of fabulous desserts. Invictus by William Ernest Henley, is my favorite poem. Especially the final stanza: It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Summer Bits

I just have a few photos for you.  The last couple months have been busy and difficult.  But much has improved and so I will share just a few little 'bits of summer'  tonight with you.  Wishing you all deep peace, Laura

I'm sure you can tell by the tulips that I took this one in early May and am just now sharing it here.  I had just gotten my 'new' (used) iphone and this is the only decent picture I've managed to take with it so far.  (Flower beds, Oquirrh Mountain Temple.)

I've titled this one, 'Shy Bow'  and sadly, it is the only rainbow I've captured this summer.

 Here is a picture of a volunteer basil growing in the shadow of one of my tomato plants.  I built this little guy a self-watering vase and transplanted it.  It's thriving on my kitchen window sill.  Turns out, it is a Lettuce Leaf Basil and I am thrilled.
Oh, and If you want to see a picture of the self-watering vase I designed, click here.

There was a 'Vintage White Market' up at the Salt Lake Fairgrounds a while back and I came across this charming fellow.  I had a horse just like him as a child.  Oh the adventures we had in the back yard!


 This is a picture of the plume of smoke above the massive Levan fire (and placid cattle) last July.  (Levan itself was not on fire though!)


Here is a recent photo of one of the limbs on my apple tree. This little Fuji is loaded with crisp apples that are almost ripe.  (The fact that they are a little green hasn't not stopped me from enjoying them already. :)  )








1 comment:

  1. Thanks Laura - that photo of the spring flowers reminds me how quickly the months go by - wasn't it just spring? And It will be snowing soon (where you are anyway!) and then it'll be spring again - OK now I'm just getting too maudlin. Loved the self watering jar too - you are so clever! Miss you. See you on September 4th at Thursday Yoga maybe? I'll be in town.

    ReplyDelete